Want To Win A FREE 3-Night Stay At A Mountain Retreat?
It all started on Monday, when I woke up feeling a bit under the weather. At noon I might add. That’s how I knew I was sick. I’ve got sooo much on my plate these days that being down for more than a day can really mess with my schedule.
I am so blessed to have you all in my life! Right away, when you saw that I was sick on Instagram, I received endless amounts of natural remedies to heal up quick. Most of them I had never heard of before. Herbal and natural remedies may not be a cure-all, but they can sure help shorten the duration and get you feeling better, faster!
So I decided to give them a try and here are my top 10:
- I mean c’mon… your body is working overtime to kick this cold so make things a little easier on it and rest up. The more you sleep the longer your body is able to focus less on providing you energy to live your daily life, but more so on pushing this cold/flu. Getting enough sleep is crucial for preventing illnesses as well. Not getting enough sleep or struggling with interrupted sleep often, will leave your body worn down and vulnerable to pathogens and unable to resist getting sick. So take the day off and rest up…besides nobody likes working with a sick person.
- Flush out the bad stuff! Hydration seems to be the key to everything, am I right! Want good skin, stay hydrated. Want more energy, stay hydrated. Why is this so? Well when your body is hydrated that means that is able to properly assist in digestion, circulation, absorption, and excretion.
- Make sure to drink more water than normal; when your body is sick, especially if it is running a fever, it will require more water than usual to do it’s job.
Immune Shot aka Ginger, Cayenne Pepper, Oregano oil, and lemon Juice
- This shot is PACKED with nutritional benefits!! Oregano Oil is a antibiotic and antiviral. Ginger can calm respiratory problems such as coughing, reduce
- fevers, alleviate nausea, soothe digestive concerns, bring down inflammation,
and is a decongestant when your sinuses are all clogged up. Lemon is an excellent source of Vitamin C! Cayenne Pepper… well you ever heard about sweating out a fever? Spice is great when you are sick!
- RAW HONEY. Honey is a natural antiviral, antibacterial, and antioxidant loaded cough syrup. Yessss, if you are struggling with continuous coughing and/or sore throats, then grab yourself a hot cup of tea and add in a decent amount of honey!
Eat Healthy & Light
- Remember, the more energy your body uses to digest the foods you are consuming, the less it has for your immune system. So eat healthy foods that are light: soups, teas, fresh fruit, and veggies. Homemade chicken soup is my go-to. Ir you are ever in my house and you get sick, I can garauntee you that you will be living off of homemade chicken soup. The warmth, the veggies, and the broth are all what your body needs. I’ll throw up the easiest chicken soup recipe EVER, for Friday’s post.
- Many health food stores offer different brands of this, but at my local store it was California Natural. It contained Ginger Root, grapefruit seed extract, licorice extract, oregano oil, Zinc, honey, and Olive Leaf. I’m forwarning you, it does not taste very good. HAHA but… it does work!
- Eucalyptus Steams will instantly begin clearing up your sinus congestion! Your local drug stores such as: CVS, Walgreens, and Walmart, carry eucalyptus shower tablets. If you are unable to make it to those stores that’s okay! Fill a large bowl with boiling water, add a few drops of Eucalyptus Oil, place your face above the bowl (not too close, you don’t want to get a steam burn) and drape a towel over the back of your head and over the bowl. Take several deep breaths and you’ll begin to open up those nasal passages.
- We all know sugars aren’t the best for us so why feed it to our body when it is weaker than normal?! JUST DON’T. Sugar weakens your immune system! I know that pudding or ice cream sounds so perfect right now, but if it’s high in sugar… STEP AWAY! Consuming sugary foods will only prolong your cold. And no, sugar free options are not better. If you really need something sweet, go for the honey
Vitamin C & D
- Vitamin C in large amounts can speed up your recovery time. It’s always better to eat your vitamins than take supplements so grab an orange or some bell peppers. TRUST ME, they taste way better than that pill you were about to take.
- Vitamin D is great for avoiding illness, but since we already have it consume Vitamin D to aid in speeding up recovery time.
Take preventative measures this Cold/Flu season! Provide your body with the rest and nutrients it needs on the daily to avoid getting sick. Remember self-care isn’t just about facials and mani/pedi dates, it’s about taking care of your body inside and out!