Ladies!! We all know how horrible that one week a month can be for us, well those of us that struggle with PMDD or even a more severe case of PMS. The cramps, the bloating, the fatigue, hot flashes, nausea, and the many other physical symptoms that come with womanhood. I myself struggle with PMDD and suffer with EVERY DAMN symptom known to be correlated with a period. UGH! It is miserable, but unfortunately I cannot be over here taking days off or slacking. With my busy AF schedule, I’ve got no time to be checkin’ out & binge watching Netflix (though I have contemplated it many times 😛 )!
So over the years I have begun finding remedies to help ease the aches & pains, as well as to shorten the life of my periods. As you already know, I prefer to use natural remedies over prescription drugs. Don’t get me wrong, there has been many times that I have relied on those Ibuprofens, but I try my very best to avoid getting to this point.
Give These A Try:
- Eat Calcium & Magnesium Rich Foods
- Avocados, leafy greens, yogurt, and dark chocolate. The minerals in these foods act as a natural muscle relaxer for your uterus. YAY!!!
- Pop A Multivitamin
- Vitamins A,C, and E are just what you body needs to reduce your cramps and ease bloating + mood swings!!
- Take a Warm Bath
- The heat can aid in soothing the cramps.
- Add Epsom Salts and Lavender Essential Oil to help you unwind.
- The heat can aid in soothing the cramps.
- Sip An Herbal Tea.
- I REPEAT: It’s all about that heat!
- AVOID ALCOHOL!
- I know this may be hard for many of you… especially with the holiday season upon us, but alcohol only makes the symptoms worst. You are feeling fine and dandy until tomorrow comes around and your body begins reacting to the extreme dehydration.
- Eat a Banana.
- Potassium deficiency can also be a cause to cramps.
- Get Up And Move Girl!
- As horrible as this sounds, moving around assists your body in pumping more blood and releasing endorphins counteracting the cramps. YESSSSS you heard that correctly, taking the dog for a brisk walk is not only good for that adorable pup, but also for your PMS.
- Acupuncture or Get A Massage
- Skip the deep tissue massage for now, but a quick visit to your acupuncturist or a gentle massage will get the blood flowing and improve your circulation – both excellent when it comes to curing cramps, if I might add.
- Any hubbies out there reading this: Give your girl a nice back rub or even a foot massage and help her out. TRUST ME, you’ll get a few gold stars for that. 😉
- STAY HYDRATED!!!
- Hydration is key to LIFE. Not only will it provide you with glowing skin, but it will ease the bleeding and pain associated with menstruation.
- Add a few lemon slices in your water throughout the day to ease the swelling as well.
AVOID AT ALL COSTS:
Try and avoid these PMS triggers!
- Environmental Toxins
- Large Amounts of Caffeine
- Eating Too Many Salty Foods
- Poor Diet
- Mineral- Depleting High Fructose Corn Syrup & Refined Sugar
- Trans Fats and Hydrogenated Fats
- Chemical Changes In the Brain
- Lack of Exercise
Ohhhh and my fave…
PMS Reducing Products That Work:
Saje – Moon Cycle Roller
So I’m kind of obsessed with this product! As many of you already know, I LOVE Saje products. They are 100% all natural, have a wide-range of uses, and best of all they work!
This women’s soothing oil blend aka Moon Cycle, is rubbed on your lower abdomen, lower back, hips, and thighs.
Yogi – Women’s Moon Cycle
Looking for a caffeine free tea with balanced flavor? Look no further. Yogi has perfected a light and comforting tea that is especially beneficial one week a month ( if you catch my drift haha). With Raspberry leaf, Chamomile, Ginger Root, and Chaste Tree Berry, this tea is loaded with hormonal balancing benefits!
Seven Minerals – PMS Relief Magnesium Spray
THIS IS NOT FOR ANYONE WITH SENSITIVE SKIN. I REPEAT: do not use if fragrances or essential oils irritate your skin.
Of course dilution is always an option, but I wouldn’t recommend to anyone that has sensitive skin. I personally do notice quite a bit discomfort initially, even with diluting the spray with water, but it works so I deal with the initial itchiness. I know, not the smartest decision on my part… but hey, it works!
I have shared this product with several girlfriends that suffer from PMS and DO NOT have sensitive skin and fortunately for them there is no discomfort and it works well! This magnesium and essential oil blend offers you all-natural relief for your cramps.
Herb Pharmacy – PMS Comfort
Why is it that the best things for you taste oh so gross?! AM I right?!
For those of you that might not want to purchase the tea I mentioned above, this is a great concentrated supplement for overall reproductive health. Containing ginger, dandelion, and Chaste Berry – which I just now realize many of you are unaware of the incredible benefits that this mineral has to offer so I will write an article here VERY soon on it’s health benefits.
It is recommend to take this supplement the week leading up to your period and the week of your period or daily to maintain a healthy balance of these nutrients. Be careful on over doing the Chaste Berry aka Vitex Berry. Many multivitamins already contain a small amount in them. If you are unsure about your proper daily consumption I would recommend contacting your doctor and/or a Registered Dietician.
P.S. if you are in search of a good Registered Dietician, I would highly recommend reaching out to Kim Shapira, M.S., R.D. she has helped me!
Electronic Heating Pad and/ or Hot Water Bottle
You already know I’m about that Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle life so why wouldn’t I have a reusable (and portable I might add) Heating Pad. YESSSSS Electric ones are great for when you are home, lounging around an outlet, but if you are always on-the-go, like me, or maybe stuck in class then get yourself a Reusable Hot Water Bottle.
I might sound a little crazy to you right now, but when I’m traveling and on day 1 of my period, this baby is a life-saver!!!! No over exaggerating here. Just fill this bad boy up with hot water and apply to your belly or aching lower back.
One time I was traveling across country for work, on the first day of my period, AND I had 2 layovers (YEAH, IT WAS TOTALLY MISERABLE)… anywho at each layover I would dump out the lukewarm water and replace it with practically boiling water from Starbucks or any of the restaurants located by my gate. Seriously it is that simple. Hot water is free people, yes even at an airport. Just ask the barista kindly to fill up your Hot Water Bottle or ask for a large cup of hot water and do it yourself if you are embarrassed. You’ll thank me later!
I apologize to all you gentleman (if any) that decided to read this. Some of the content might have made you a little uncomfortable, but I promise all these tips will help out your wifey so share them with her!
It is always great to hear from you gals: please feel free to share in the comment section below with what helps you!! Remember if you liked this article, please share and subscribe!